Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A bit of the unusual...

This morning I went for a haircut. Yolanda at Alicia's is my hairdresser while we are in South Texas. It has been that way for several years now. Alicia's salon is on Roberts street that runs parallel on the north side to business 83 on the west edge of Donna Texas. In the block before Alicia's, is this strange tree with long hanging strings and large pods. I asked Yolanda what kind of tree it was but she didn't know so when I came home I googled it. It is a sausage tree! And that is indeed what it looks like. Taxonomy - Kigelia africana (Sausage tree) (Kigelia pinnata)

I didn't take a picture of it but I googled a couple of images.


Yolanda told me that the tree her clients most often ask about is the one nearer her salon. She said it is called an elephant foot tree. So I googled it as well and it is more commonly called a ponytail palm but is actually a member of the lily family.
Here is a snipped image of it. Always fun to become better acquainted with your surroundings.


No comments: