Friday, October 04, 2019

This and That

With the recent weather that we are having back here in Wisconsin and in a lot of the Midwest it makes me think we should head south. It's too early for us but I know others are thinking about it. I just read Barb Brooker's blog and they are in the process of moving out of their house into the motorhome. They do this every year and it helps them to make sure they have everything they want to take along on the trip. I know from experience it's all too easy to leave something at home that you really wanted to take. We have "stuff" that never leaves the RV such as dishes, pots & pans etc. but all of our personal things come in the house so it does take a while to gather it all up to take along. I think everyone who heads south for the winter whether they are coming in a car to get down to their winter home or by RV pretty much arrive with a packed vehicle. I'm looking forward to that time when we can start making piles of things that we want to take along. We are looking at late November and just in the last few days are contemplating going around Houston again. We have done Houston three times I think. The first time was a disaster on a road that on the map looked fine but in reality turned out to be a four lane, yes but a light on every corner. We hit it at the noon hour, and we were in the Class A. I remember Jim saying if we managed to get out of there without getting hit it would be a minor miracle. Our only saving grace was the fact that we were big. We had the car on a dolly behind us and we thought someone might hit that but we managed. It was a dreadful hour or so. The next two times we went right through the middle. Bumper to bumper traffic, again during the noon hour but this time we stayed on the interstate and over in the second lane from the left which seems to work quite well. We've never driven a 5th wheel through Houston and this time we are looking at taking the outermost toll around it. It would appear to be way out starting north of the city and going around to the west. If anyone reading this has done that I would appreciate hearing how it is.

Several folks have shared news from the park. There are now two dumpsters instead of one which I think is a good thing. With so many people in the park I imagine one dumpster would fill up in a hurry. Mike Reddick, Marie Flood and Arnold & Nilda Santana's mobiles all have been moved out of the park. Santanas owned Jon & Eddie Larson's mobile on Pecos for those of you who didn't know them. That would be right next to Gail and also Waneta. I have heard that there is a RV parked where Joe & Lucy Urias had their mobile on Rose right next to Chet & Irma's mobile. I've also been told by at least three people that there are plans underway to remodel Allen Hall. From what the ads for the rental units say there is a gym coming and I'm thinking that may be where it is going.

I know it's been VERY HOT down in Donna yet but when watching the weather channel tonight it does look like relief is in sight. I'm sure that will be a welcome relief. Whenever anyone sends me an email or text they mention how hot it is. That really can't be much fun. Back here when I walked this morning I had my heavy coat on along with a headband, hood and gloves. It's cold and we don't much like it!

I found a few pictures that I thought would be fun to share. These are from the 2017 Ropa Style and Talent Show. Everything that is modeled in the style shows came out of one of the many Ropa USADAs that are located across the Valley. In most instances nothing is hung on hangers but "arranged" in a huge pile in the middle of a big building where it is common to see a tow motor pushing clothes around on the floor and beeping its horn warning all who are shopping to get out of the way. Clothes as well as bedding and other textile items are found in these piles and everything is sold by the pound. Ropa shopping is many Winter Texans favorite way to spend a day to see what surprises they can find in the pile.

 Kay Stilson is modeling her PJ's.


Would you believe that Shirley Benner's outfit came out of a big pile on the floor!


Even white pants can be found in the Ropa heaps. Sue Greening looks pretty 
special in this pretty outfit.

 Now I'm not exactly sure how much of Dave Greenings outfit came out of the pile but I do know that he was "fishing" which I think is what Dave likes to do best, except maybe for gleaning vegies out of the fields when they are left after picking.

I do wish I could remember what this was all about but Darlene Jansen was reacting to something. Remember, not only are clothes modeled and talent shared but there are skits and other things that go on at the style show. I will never forget the year that Ambrose jumped into Eugene Pratt's arms! I just asked Jim if he remembered that and he did. It was a sight to behold!
 I think Chet Johnson maybe forgot that he wasn't in Wisconsin but in south Texas. Well, actually on second thought I see he is prepared for both with his nice warm jacket and hat but he also has shorts on. No matter what the weather brings he is ready and down in the Rio Grande Valley the weather does often change very quickly at the drop of a hat.

This was one of the talents that were shared, Don Tank and Linda & Deral Rogers sang for us. 
There is a lot of talent in Magnola.

1 comment:

Barbara Brooker said...

Loved the Ropa Pics!!!