Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day 2010

Smileycons!
We will all meet later today in Allen Hall for a delicious meal prepared by many capable hands. The bill for the turkey is being picked up by the park owners so we must add our thanks for that which brings me to the subject of the day. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It is mostly a no pressure holiday with the only pressure being on the cooks.
 The daughter of a friend of mine was posting on facebook and she said she was reading a self help book where one of the exercises was to write down 5 things per day she was grateful for. I thought what a great idea. So I added a long list of things I was grateful for that very minute and told her how glad I was that she was doing that.
She was struggling with her list and told me that she was supposed to do this for 30 days and if she wrote as long a list as I had she would soon run out of things to be grateful for. I told her I could do that every day for the rest of my life and NEVER run out of things to be thankful  for. One of life's amazing things is that the more things we take time to express a gratitude for the more things we have to be grateful for. It is like an avalanche! A good kind of avalanche.
My list for this minute is:
I am grateful I am here in the warmth even though the warmth is abundant.
I am thankful for all the friends I have here as it certainly would be no fun at all to be here alone.
I am so glad I didn't have to prepare this thanksgiving meal although I am very grateful I get to eat and enjoy each and every morsel. And I thank the people who prepared it.
Thanksgiving day is a wonderful time to make note of all the things in your life you have to be grateful for. So instead of giving a passing glance at what you are grateful for give it a little deeper thought than that sometime today and watch what happens as a result. I think you will be very glad that you did.

No comments: