Monday, August 30, 2021

This and That

 It's been ages since I've put anything on the blog but frankly, there just isn't much to put on. I have not heard much from former Magnolia residents and I hate to keep writing about just our projects, which by the way we are STILL struggling with. This bathroom remodel has turned into a never ending series of problems but the end is finally in sight, - maybe! The last thing was stain that wouldn't dry - ever! Quite annoying to say the least.

This year we fed only 74 jars of jelly unlike last year when we managed to use up 104 jars. We had more Baltimore Orioles last year and the last of them have left although we did see one stop in briefly this morning. We brought the jelly feeders in until next year as the honey bees had decided they like grape jelly too. The yellow jackets like the hummingbird feeders but I hate to bring them in as there are still a few hummers flitting around. As far as the birds go the last few days have been very quiet. The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks have been gone for maybe three weeks already and the Red-headed Woodpeckers have headed south too. Right now we don't even have sparrows which is perfectly fine with us. All we've seen the last few days are Blue Jays, a few Woodpeckers and several doves. Last week a Cooper's Hawk visited and managed to snatch a Mourning Dove and two hawks flew over this morning so they perhaps have frightened away the littler birds. As I understand it, doves are the Cooper's Hawk favorite food.

We live in Clark County Wisconsin and it has the lowest vaccination rate of any county in Wisconsin, not sure just why but perhaps the fact that we also have a large Amish population contributes to that. Neillsville right now has many people who are ill with covid and some are on ventilators in hospitals in the larger cities around us. Masks are once again becoming required in some businesses and I'm guessing will soon be necessary everywhere. We always have ours in the car or in my purse wherever we go.

I know for some people their thoughts are already turning south. We are looking forward to returning to Trails End in Weslaco but we usually don't leave until mid-November. Trails End is now an Encore park so there have been many changes made with the new ownership and some of the long-time park residents are having a hard time dealing with them but to us, it is run very much as is Trophy Gardens where we did spend a year and probably like most corporation owned parks. Change is always difficult but our feeling is that it will be for the better. Encore and Wilder (Trophy Gardens) both have good reputations from everything I've ready and we are looking forward to returning. Butch and Barb Brooker will be returning to Trophy (I'm relatively certain about that) which they enjoy. Trails End has lots of former Magnolia residents including Chet & Irma so it's a good fit for us.

I'm still toying with the idea of making a Magnolia directory, no photos, just current contact information. It would not go on the blog but I would email you a PDF copy if you would want one. It would be a fair amount of work so as I said, I'm still thinking about it. When I had mentioned it earlier in the summer I did have several people tell me they would like to be included. If I decided to do it I will post here on the blog the information that I would need and you could email me with it if you would want to be included. I had thought I would have time this summer but it really hasn't worked out that way.

If you have info you would like put on the blog, please let me know. It's always fun to see pictures of any of the Magnolia "family" so if you have something you could share, send it to me.

Stay safe!

No comments: