Friday, February 19, 2021

Worst is Over edited





 I do believe that the worst of the weather is past us with tonight being the last night for a possible freeze. We did not unhook our water hose but did cover up the pipe where is comes out of the ground and where we hook on to it. Our plants are covered up for the last time we hope! We still do not have any water issues over here in Weslaco but we have quite a few jugs filled just in case. At this point, it's better to be prepared. When we see the utter destruction in other parts of Texas we are fortunate. They are talking about more than $300 million in citrus losses alone and that is just the beginning. We see the houses in Houston, which is not that far away from us, with columns of ice hanging from the ceiling to the floor in the houses and it is hard to believe that  could happen. Where would a homeowner even start. I think I would call in a bulldozer and start over!

Our park, Trails End has bent over backwards to be helpful. There are still about four homes that don't have power, mostly due to transformers or perhaps transformer fuses and they have opened up their little rental units for the residents to use. Today at noon they had a wood-fired pizza oven food truck in and provided pizza to the residents, free of charge, and that was not a slice, but one whole pizza per household. 

Margaret & Don Schmaltz returned this morning, they had spent this week in a motel, Don & Marty Harper are still in their motorhome as they are one of those without power yet. I talked to DeWayne Friesen this noon and he said that he and his mom Carmen are okay. I saw Keith Gilbertson in the laundry and he said he was okay. I think his church had told him he could come over there but I believe he chose to stay in his mobile. Gail Lubinsky waved when I walked by like she does nearly every morning. We used to wave at each other almost every morning when I walked in Magnolia too. A nice way to start the day. I did not see Susan, Ron and Chris, or Shirley but I'm assuming they are all okay. I am not sure if George is still in the hospital but will find out. I talked to Andy Harper a couple of minutes and he's fine. I did not see Jordans or Terry Froseth but Pat & Mike had lights tonight when we walked by and I'm sure Terry is okay too. Darlene was  outside enjoying the sunshine and Darrel and Kathy Forsgren returned from South Padre which they had been in a motel. Chet & Irma are okay and enjoying all the things that electricity provides. Just being able to watch TV and hear the news is something to be thankful for. They had no idea that the whole country is talking about Texas to the extent that they are even though I had told them that it was all over the news. We are all grateful for electricity and water and sincerely hope it does not go away again. When I walked around this morning I took the camera and took some pictures of some of the frozen plants. It is really hard to imagine unless you actually see it in person but you will get the idea.







This last picture shows what were Irma's Canna Lilies. Mary had shared some of hers and they were beautiful but not anymore. I think that all of the Cannas which are or were in Magnolia Park started from Irma's. They had looked really good but not now! We are going to cut them down and see if they will come back, after all, the ground did not freeze so maybe?? Time will tell.

This crisis is over and we are all hoping to get back to normal, or at least what we now call normal.


No comments: