Thursday, January 11, 2007

Tex-Mex Cheese Soup

A friend of mine sent me a recipe for Tex-Mex Cheese Soup. With cold temperatures in our future I thought I would plan on this warm and yummy sounding recipe. And I am sharing it with you!

Recipe: Tex-Mex Cheese Soup
Category: Mexican
Author: Mickey

2 T butter
1 cup chopped red or green pepper ( I prefer the red )
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno
(I used pepper jack)
2 cups half & half ( I used the non-fat)
1- 4 to 5 oz can diced green chilies - drained

1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the chopped sweet pepper & onion. Cook & stir over medium heat until veggies are tender
2. Add flour and stir until combined.
3. Add chicken broth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened & bubbly. Cook & stir 1 more minute.
4. Reduce heat: gradually add cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
5. Add half & half and diced chilies. Heat through.
6. Add freshly ground pepper to taste. If desired, add several drops of bottled hot pepper sauce.

I bought small loafs of cheddar cheese french bread ( got it at Wal-Mart). Comes 2 in a package.
Pepper cheese & Mustard Bread
1/4 cup of creamy Dijon-style mustard
(I only used about 1 T. of sweet & spicy)
1/4 t ground cumin1 1/2 cup of pepper jack

1. Half bread loaf horizontally
2. Stir together mustard & cumin. stir in shredded cheese
3. Spread cheese mixture on cut sides.

Place halves, spread side up, on a large baking sheet.
Broil 4 -5 minutes or just until cheese is melted.

No comments: