Thursday, November 14, 2019

Winter Texans Drifting In

More and more Winter Texans are arriving in the park. Dave and Mary Bruun got in a few days ago as well as Susan Van Houweling. They met up around Joplin and traveled together the rest of the way. Keith Gilbertson got in I believe today. Edna Nelson got in a few days ago and Edna has sold, or is selling her mobile and going back up north. I think her grandchildren came down with her and will help her take the things that she wants back up north. She will be missed as she was a long-time resident in the park and always called the numbers for Bingo. When we first started coming to Magnolia her husband Charlie was a fixture up in the pool hall in his wheel chair. I'm not sure quite how long Edna has been a resident but I know it's been a very long time.

The weather up here in the north has moderated slightly but I'm guessing there will be more and more arrivals soon as people want to escape the cold and snow. I know that's how we feel. Jim has one more eye appointment to have the prescription rechecked for his new glasses which he got after cataract surgery. He only needs them for reading and actually he reads just fine without them but they said, oh these will make everything a little sharper. In fact, he can't read with them at all or use them for his laptop either so something is wrong. We haven't decided if we will wait for the lenses to get changed or just have them sent to us. It has been quite the summer between dermatology and eye appointments and we are more than ready for a break.

Just a reminder, this blog is intended as a place where present and former Magnolia Park (as the park was known for almost all of the years that most of us have lived there either full or part time) residents can keep in touch and share where they are now, what is happening in their lives or, news that none of us like to hear, if someone is sick or has passed. I know that Duane Ergen and Reggie Holland will be elsewhere this winter. I seem to remember that Reggie told me they were going to Florida but I may have that wrong. Larry and Noreen sold at the end of last season so they won't be in the park this year either. I think Nelson and Mabel Zoot are staying home, but again, I think that's what Mabel told me but I'm not sure about that. Now that there are two mobiles on the spot we had reserved we will be at Trophy Gardens which is where Barb and Butch spent last season and are already there. We are looking forward to maybe shooting some pool with them although to be honest we are pretty rusty as we've played two games since we got home and that is all. When we are in the park we spend every night up at the pool hall and when we get home even though we have a perfectly good pool table we can't manage to find the time to play. It's more fun I guess when there are lots of people around as half the attraction is all the camaraderie that goes on in the pool hall as well as a fair amount of "smart" remarks that get tossed around. We will miss that!

As always, if you have news you would like to share, let me know and Travel Safe to those of you on the road now or shortly.

1 comment: