Saturday, April 29, 2017

Canning Jars

Smileycons!

I asked Kay V. about her canning jars and she was kind enough to answer me. I am sure there are people out there who will find it interesting so here is her answer. Smileycons!
From Kay:
Ha.  Well when we leave for Tx in the fall, I usually have canned at least 800 to 1000 jars of food.  Some is dehydrated and I  do not count the freezers.  Probably another 500 jars that are empty.   This all includes what our 2 girls take and what is stored in Tx.  Jim stacks boxes of jars in the barn and in the garage....we brought 7 boxes of empties home from Tx and there are 3 big boxes still there.  
Jim also bought pressure canners at auctions....we have 30!  I finally put my foot down....we have all sizes and styles.  Most are WW2 era, they are the heavy ones.  Victory gardens were important, so the government let canners be made....other items were rationed during the war.
I use 2 that hold 21 pints each.  One is my mom's.   The rest line shelves in the garage.  Neither daughter has much interest in canning, but 15 yr old granddaughter has learned and enjoys her own "basement grocery".  Kay

No comments: