Thursday, May 07, 2015

Storing inkjet cartridges

This question comes up on occasion so when I saw this tip I decided to pass it on. The computer lady is from a website www.asktcl.com. She has been a source of info for me for many years.
Barb


Dear Computer Lady,
I want to know how to preserve my cartridges if I leave for six
months from my desert home.
Thanks, Dee
Dear Dee,
There is nothing more frustrating than finding your expensive
inkjet cartridge have dried out and are no longer working.
If you can afford it, I would suggest that you get a laser printer.
The toner is not liquid based, and won't dry out over time like
inkjet cartridges. 
In the meantime, I did a little research and found lots of
information about storing your cartridges. Lots of people suggest
things like wrapping the cartridge in damp paper towels and sealing
in a zip lock bag, but touching the metal on the cartridge and
leaving them wrapped in a damp paper towel seems like it could cause
problems.
HP has directions for storing cartridges on their website at: 
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03007680
HP says to store the cartridges with the nozzles up in a plastic tub
with an airtight lid. Don't allow anything to touch the cartridge
nozzles.
Put a damp cloth next to, but not touching the cartridges, and seal
the container.
I would add that it wouldn't hurt to put that container in your
refrigerator while you are gone.
Elizabeth

No comments: