This is a Taste of Home recipe and a common one in Iowa. I have made these many times and they were a favorite of the "boys" in my family. Perhaps we could enjoy a bit of nostalgia and present them in Allen Hall on some occasion.
Iowa Ham Balls
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
MAKES: 15 servings
- 3-1/2 pounds ground ham
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Using a 1/3 cup measure, shape mixture into 2-in. balls. Place in two large shallow roasting pans. Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over balls. Bake at 325° for 1 hour, basting frequently with sauce. Yield: about 15 servings.
Originally published as Iowa Ham Balls in Country April/May 1992, p47