Friday, December 12, 2008
Cattleman's Beef & Beans
Norma C. sent me an email filled with Crockpot Recipes and I picked out the one featured here and it will be on my "do again" list. I followed the recipe to the letter and it is scrumptious! My only suggestion would be to start it in the evening and cook it all night unless you get up pre-dawn and start it then. It takes a very long time but it is so worth it.
Recipe: Cattleman's Beef and Beans 12/12/2008
1 lb. dried pinto beans
6 c. water
3 lbs. beef brisket or round roast
1 lg. onion, chopped
½ c. dark molasses
2 tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. dry mustard
¼ tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
1. Rinse beans under running water, place in a large kettle with water; bring to
boiling; cover kettle; lower heat; cook 15 minutes; let stand 1 hours.
2. Trim all excess fat from beef; brown meat on all sides in remaining fat in a
3. Place meat in the bottom of the slow cooker; add beans and liquid, onion,
molasses, salt, ginger, mustard, pepper and bay leaf. Add more water, if needed
to cover meat and beans; cover.
4. Cook on high for 2 hours, stir beans, adding more liquid if needed to keep
beans and meat covered.
5. Turn heat control to low and cook for 8 hours, or until beans are very tender
and liquid is absorbed. Taste and season with a spoonful of hot prepared mustard,
if you wish.
6. Remove meat to a carving board and cut into slices; spoon beans around beef