Friday, December 09, 2005

This is from Ray Thompson, a retired highway patrolman who lives in Atlantic Iowa. I thought some of you might relate to his walk down memory lane.
"Another really cold day coming to an end here. It brings back memories of when I was a kid. The house we lived in only had heat when mom had the cook stove going. We kids use to go out in the grove and pick up sticks and put them in the cob box so she could get the fire in the stove going when she got up in the morning... It had to be terribly cold for her.
My room had no heat at all. Not even a open air register above the cook stove as it did in the girls room. Mom and dads room was just off the kitchen but, of course none of us had any heat once the kitchen stove went out. Most of the time we could not afford coal.
My mattress was filled with corn husk.. and I often supplemented the few blankets over me with several coats. We kids use to take one of mom's flatirons that we warmed up in the oven to bed with us. They were the kind that the handle unhooked from. We use to stick them in a sock and put our feet on them. I use to kick it out in the middle of the night on the floor, once it cooled down.
I can remember going to bed in the daytime just to get warm...
* * * *
We must have gotten 5 inches of snow last night here in Atlantic. We have a fellow come and scoop the walks, steps, and drive for us. He is the same fellow that mowed the lawn last summer. He earned his money this morning... it was cold out there." Smile!

No comments: